Monday, October 19, 2009

Eighteen, in my words

othadice : eighteen

The Illunse word for eighteen is othadice. Othadice is possibly a rare last name.

This word is a mixture of the Old English word for eighteen which is eahtatĂ­ene, and the Latin word for eighteen which is duodeviginti.

I'm cheating to make this word. My Illunse words are supposed to contain only letters found in the Old English and the Latin words. But in the case of othadice, there's no c available. That's because the Latin word for eighteen is duodeviginti which translates to two less than twenty, instead of eight and ten like the pretend word of octodecim.

For eighteen and nineteen, I will follow Old English numbering. Earlier I followed Latin for eleven and twelve, making words like one and ten (oneteen), two and ten (twoteen).

No comments: