Friday, January 22, 2010

Daughter, in my words (again)

dotia : daughter

The Illunse word for daughter is dotia. Dotia is an unusual feminine first name. Dotia is an uncommon last name. Dotia is the name of towns in Greece and Liberia.

This word is a mixture of the Old English word for daughter which is dohtor (daughter; female descendant), and the Latin word for daughter which is filia.

My previous word for daughter, from earlier this month, was foldir. That word unfortunately made me think of a folder, like one of the manila folders in my desk.

I'm redoing this word because I realized that my words for son and daughter don't need to be similiar. OK, they are similar in Latin (filius and filia), but I can follow the example of Old English instead. The Old English words for son and daughter (sunu and dohtor) aren't similar.

Here's a link to Daughter, in J.R.R. Tolkien's words.

No comments: