Saturday, February 06, 2010

Door, in J.R.R. Tolkien's words

I couldn't find a Quenya word for door. Although I did find a word for threshold. In Quneya, fenda means threshold.

The Sindarin words for door are fen or fend (door, threshold) and annon (great door, gate).

I could make an Illunse word for threshold (doorstep, doorsill, doorway, entrance). There are definitive words in Latin and Old English that I could use. But threshold is a more uncommon term, a more literary, bookish word. I'll save the word threshold for later.

As far as my writing, last month I wrote 2,867 words of fiction. My goal was 3,000 words. So not bad. This month I have have no set writing goal. I hope to edit January's piece, which has some inconsistancies. Perhaps next month I'll set another goal.

No comments: