Sunday, June 06, 2010

You (singular), in my words

thu : you (pronoun)

The Illunse word for you (personal pronoun, 2nd person singular, nominative case) is thu. In Etruscan thu means one. In Scottish Gaelic thu means you (singular informal). In Vietnamese thu means autumn. Thu is an abbreviation for Thursday. Thû is an early name for Sauron in J.R.R. Tolkien's Middle-earth legendarium.

This word is a mixture of the Latin word for you (singular) which is tu, and the Old English word for you (singular) which is þu which I transliterate to thu.

My Illunse word is basically the same as the Old English word, I just don't use the letter thorn (þ) to spell it. It's interesting that this word means you in Scottish Gaelic. Perhaps that confirms that my word choice was a good one. Not that I had many word mix choices, the Latin and Old English words are so similar.

No comments: