Saturday, January 14, 2012

Bull, in my word (revised) + bulls

taer : bull

The Illunse word for bull is taer. Taer is an unusual last name. In the Dungeons and Dragons fantasy role-playing game, the taer is a monstrous, primate-like creature.

This word is a mixture of the Latin word for bull which is taurus (like the astrological sign), and the Old English word for bull which is fearr. Another Old English word for bull is bula.

My previous Illunse word for bull was taeru. I liked the word, but I'm changing it because nouns ending in -u are often feminine in Old English. I don't want to deal with grammatical gender in Illunse, but my root languages of Old English and Latin both have masculine, feminine and neuter.

Here's a link to Bull, in J.R.R. Tolkien's words

taeras : bulls

The Illunse word for bulls (nominative plural) is taeras. Taeras is a rare last name that can be Indonesian.

Bulls in Latin is tauri. Bulls in Old English is fearras.

No comments: