A short time-out from words in my fantasy language or in Elvish. Here's something different. I was tagged by Kendra to list twelve characters from any fandom, then answer the questions.
OK. Below are the characters I picked, followed by the questions and my answers. There are Wikipedia links to references about my characters, in case anyone wonders who the heck they are. I'm probably way too old for this, because I didn't chose any characters from Eragon (although I've read the first book), or Twilight (which I haven't read or seen the movie)!
1. Obi Wan Kenobi (as played by Ewan McGregor)
2. Hermione Granger (from the Harry Potter books and movies)
3. Spock (from Star Trek)
4. Lyra Belacqua (from The Golden Compass and the other His Dark Materials books by Philip Pullman)
5. Sherlock Holmes
6. Ayesha (from Victorian book She and others by H. Rider Haggard)
7. Samwise Gamgee or Sam (from The Lord of the Rings)
8. Locke Lamora (from the book The Lies of Locke Lamora and its sequel by Scott Lynch)
9. Mercy (Mercedes) Thompson (from the books by Patricia Briggs)
10. Indiana Jones
11. Eddard Stark (from the book A Game of Thrones by George R. R. Martin)
12. Djan Seriy Anaplian (from the science fiction book Matter by Iain M. Banks)
1. Who would make a better collage prof, 6 or 11?
Ayesha or Eddard Stark as Professor? Ayesha is immortal and she studies books, but she is arrogant. Eddard Stark is an honest, family man. I'd choose Eddard.
2. Do you think #2 is hot?
I like Hermione. But as I'm a woman, I hadn't thought of calling Hermione hot.
3. 12 sends 8 out on a mission. What is it? Does it succeed?
Djan, a woman from a far-future version of the CIA, sends Locke Lamora, a clever, fantasy con-man on a mission? The mission would likely be an elaborate scheme on a distant planet. Of course it succeeds, but likely with some dangerous complications.
4. What is or what would be 9's favorite book?
Not sure. Mercy would probably like a VW auto repair manual.
5. Would it make more sense for 2 to swear fealty to 6, or the other way around?
Hermione might swear fealty to Ayesha, also known as She Who Must Be Obeyed. But Hermione wouldn't like it, and would be trying to figure a way out.
6. For some reason, 5 is looking for a roommate. Should (s)he room with 9 or 10?
Sherlock Holmes is looking for a roommate. He’d be a pain of a roommate. I don't think he'd choose to room with a woman, let alone a shapechanger like Mercy. So I guess it's Sherlock Holmes and Indiana Jones.
7. 2, 7 and 12 are going out to dinner. Where do they go and what do they discuss?
Hermione, Samwise and Djan meet for dinner. As they are all from books by British authors, I think they'll meet in a cafe in London. Perhaps they'd discuss the different people and creatures, both magical and extraterrestrial, they've met.
8. 3 challenges 10 to a duel, who wins?
Spock challenges Indiana Jones to a duel? That's unlikely!
9. If 1 stole 8's most precious possession, how would (s)he get it back?
Obi Wan Kenobi, Jedi Knight, steals something from Locke Lamora, who is a master thief and and con-man. They are both resourceful and persistent. This would be an interesting matchup.
10. Suggest a story title in which 7 and 12 both attain what they desire.
Sam and Djan both want to save their threatened homelands, which are very different. My title, Special Circumstances in the Shire.
11. What kind of plot device would you have to use if you wanted 1 and 4 to work together?
Obi Wan and Lyra? Maybe Obi Wan feels the Force would be stronger in him if he had an animal daemon.
12. If 7 visited you for the weekend, how would it go?
Sam and I would probably go on nature walks and discuss gardening.
13. If you could command 3 to perform any service or task for you, what would it be?
Me and Spock? The New Star Trek Spock, played by Zachary Quinto, hopefully. I like him to escort me on a vacation in outer space.
14. Does anyone on your friends list write or draw 11?
Eddard Stark? Not that I know of. Maybe his daughter Arya, though.
15. If 2 had to choose sides between 4 and 5, what side would (s)he choose?
Hermione Granger choosing sides between Lyra and Sherlock Holmes? Lyra is closer to Hermione's age, but Sherlock Holmes is smart. Hermione might understand and agree with Sherlock.
16. What might 10 shout out while charging into battle?
Indiana Jones doesn't need to shout anything, he has his theme music.
17. If you had to choose a song to best describe 8, what would it be?
No idea. I can’t think of anything right off.
18. 1, 6 and 12 are having a dim sum at a Chinese Restaurant. There is only one scallion pancake left, and they all reach for it at the same time. Who gets it?
There's Obi Wan, Ayesha and Djan in a Chinese Restaurant. Probably Ayesha gets the pancake. Obi Wan would likely be a gentleman and let the women decide. Djan probably wouldn't feel mere food is worth arguing about.
19. What would be a good pickup line for 2 to say to 10?
Hermione trying to pick up Indiana Jones? Really? Nice fedora and bullwhip you have there. I've heard that you're an expert on ancient civilizations....
20. What would 5 most likely be arrested for?
Sherlock Holmes would be arrested for disturbing the peace by playing his violin at all hours. Hopefully he's not arrested for drugs.
21. What is 6's secret?
Ayesha has been waiting for 2000 years for the reincarnation of her love.
22. If 11 and 9 were racing to a destination, who would get there first?
Mercy Thompson and Eddard Stark? If this destination is far, Mercy can drive a car. Eddard is in a medieval fantasy. Mercy can shape shift into a coyote, but Eddard probably has fast horses. Guess I'd choose Mercy.
23. If you had to walk home through a bad neighborhood late at night, who would you feel more comfortable walking with, 7 or 8?
Both Samwise and Locke would be loyal protectors. Both probably carry a dagger. Neither is particularly tall, though.
24. 1 and 9 reluctantly team up to save the world from the threat posed by 4's sinister secret organization. 11 volunteers to help them, but it is later discovered that s/he is actually a spy for 4. Meanwhile, 4 has kidnapped 12 in an attempt to force their surrender. Following the wise advice of 5, they seek out 3, who gives them what they need to complete their quest. What title would you give this fiction?
Obi Wan and Mercy Thomspson team up to save the world from Lyra's Belacqua's secret organization. (That doesn't sound like Lyra.) Eddard Stark volunteers to help, but actually turns out to be a spy for Lyra. (That really doesn't sound like Eddard Stark.) Meanwhile, Lyra has kidnapped Djan. (That's highly unlikely, Lyra is twelve years old and Djan is a one-woman army). Following Sherlock Holmes' advice, they seek out Spock (The Search for Spock?) to complete their quest. (OK, that works.) Interesting premise, but I have no idea for a title.
This was a fun way to waste some time.
Now, I tag
Abbe Roue Jigglier