Sunday, January 09, 2011

Night, in my words (revised) + nights

nict : night

The Illunse word for night is nict. Nict is a rare last name. NICT is an acronym for National Institute of Information and Communication Technology of Japan.

This word is a mixture of the Old English word for night which is niht and the Latin word for night which is nox (which I transliterated to nocs).

My previous Illunse word for night was noct, which was too much like Latin, such as the Latin words noctis (nights) and nocturnus (nocturnal, of night, by night). I will retroactively change the word for midnight, too.

Here's a link to my ealier post, Night, in J.R.R. Tolkien's words.

nicta : nights

The Illunse word for nights (nominative plural) is nicta. Nicta is a rare last name. NICTA is an Australian research institute in information and communications
technology.

Nights in Latin is noctis. Nights in Old English is niht (same as the singular night).

By the way, I'm somewhat cheating on this plural, since I have no letter "a". But as the Old English word niht is a strong feminine noun (that's grammar), nicta makes sense.

1 comment:

Pippa's Ghost said...

Sorry for being nitpicky, but I thinks there's a typo. When it says, "nicta : night" should that be "nights"?