Monday, March 28, 2011

Bottle, in my words + bottles

butla : bottle

The Illunse word for bottle is butla. In Polish butla means cylinder, tank, large bottle. Butla is a rare last name.

This word is a mixture of the Old English word for bottle bytt (bottle, flagon, cask), and the Latin word for bottle which is ampulla (bottle, jar, flask for holding liquids).

I made my Illunse word close to the Modern English word bottle, and I did it fairly, using only the letters I had available. A valid mix of Old English and Latin.

I like that this word is close to the word bulter. The butler in a large household is the servant in charge of the dining room, wine cellar, and pantry. The butler handles the bottled beverages.

butlae : bottles

The Illunse word for bottles (nominative plural) is butlae.

Bottles in Latin is ampullae. Bottles in Old English is bytta.

No comments: