Thursday, March 08, 2012

Road, in my words (revised) + roads (revised)

roadweag : road

The Illunse word for road is weag. Weag is an unusual last name. WEAG AM/FM are radio stations in Florida.

This word is a mixture of the Latin word for road which is via (way, road, street; journey), and the Old English word for road which is weg (way, direction; path, road, highway; journey; course of action).

My previous word for road was wea. I'm changing this word, in part, because the Old English word wéa means woe, grief, misery, evil.

Here's a link to Road, in J.R.R. Tolkien's words.

weaga : roads

The Illunse word for roads (nominative plural) is weaga. Weaga is a rare last name.

Roads in Latin is viae. Roads in Old English is wegas.

My previous word for roads was weas.

Also, I've retroactively changed my word for cliff from crife to crufe, and cliffs from crifan to crufan.

No comments: