Saturday, March 21, 2015

Buckle, in my words + buckles

fibleng : buckle

The Illunse word for buckle is fibleng. Similar Fabling is an unusual last name.

This word is a mixture of the Old English word oferfeng (fibula, buckle, clasp), and the Latin word for buckle, fibula (clasp, buckle, brooch). There are other Old English words that could be used for buckle.

Shown is a cropped image of a buckle from Daegrad Tools.

fiblenga : buckles

The Illunse word for buckles (nominative plural) is fiblenga.

Buckles in Latin is fībulae. Buckles in Old English is oferfengas.

3 comments:

Pippa's Ghost said...

I've just discovered this blog and it's brilliant. (Yes, yeas, I know that's the sort of thing a spambot says but in this case it's true!) I've spent the best part of a day jumping back and forth between your different definitions. It's amazing. You've put a lot of work into thinking them up.

But it's weird because most of the words seem to be standalone nouns. There's nothing to show how they fit together in phrases and sentences.

(e.g. You've done "belt" and "buckle" but how would you go into a repair shop and say, "The buckle's come off my belt, can you fix it?")

illunse said...

Thank you for your kind comments. Most of my Illunse words are nouns simply because nouns are easier for me do. I have a scheme for inflecting nouns. Plus, I can find images for nouns.

Adjectives, verbs, adverbs, and other sentence parts get me into grammar issues. I need to decide rules for Illunse. I'd like to do more research on grammar in Old English and Latin. Unfortunately, I haven't got around to doing that yet. So I've just been adding nouns lately.

Pippa's Ghost said...

OK. Thanks.