Saturday, March 06, 2010

How readable is Old English?

Given that you and I read English, modern English, how readable is Old English (also known as Anglo-Saxon) to us? In my opinion, it's not readable at all. That's why if we read Beowulf, it better be a translated version.

Allow me to show you how cryptic Old English is. I encountered something called a Bible Trace, which had the same verse from Bibles throughout the ages. My example is Mark Chapter 4, Verse 38. Don't look for anything profound in my choice of this verse, I merely found this example when working on my Illunse word for pillow.

Here's Mark Chapter 4, Verse 38 in Old English from 990 AD and the West Saxon Gospels:
& he wæs on scype ofer bolster slæpende.& hyo awehten hine & cwæðen. nebe-lympð to þe þt we for-wurdðeð.

Does that bible verse make much sense tou you? I doubt that it does. Old English is way different than Modern English.

Here's the same bible verse in Latin from the Vulgate:
Et erat ipse in puppi supra cervical dormiens et excitant eum et dicunt ei magister non ad te pertinet quia perimus.

Honestly, I do just about as well with Latin as Old English. It helps that I know some Spanish. I can't read either language, but I can make good guesses on some words.

Here's the same verse in Middle English from Wyclif Bible in 1395:
And he was in the hyndir part of the boot, and slepte on a pilewe. And thei reisen hym, and seien to hym, Maistir, perteyneth it not to thee, that we perischen?

Middle English is somewhat readable, even with the spelling, but it's painfully archaic.

So what does Mark Chapter 4, Verse 38 say?

Here's the verse in Jacobean English from King James Bible in 1611:
And he was in the hinder part of the ship, asleep on a pillow: and they awake him, and say unto him, Master, carest thou not that we perish?

And here's the verse in Basic English from Odgen Bible in 1964:
And he himself was in the back of the boat, sleeping on the cushion: and they, awaking him, said, Master, is it nothing to you that we are in danger of destruction?

It's interesting to see how English has changed.

No comments: