Saturday, December 26, 2009

Document, in my words

cwirta : document

The Illunse word for document is cwirta. Cwirta is an unusual last name that can be Polish.

This word is a mixture of the Latin word for a paper which is charta (paper/papyrus (sheet); record/letter, book/writing(s); thin metal sheet/leaf), and the Old English word for a writing which is gewrit (writing, something written; written characters; inscription; a written statement, passage from a book; a formal or legal document; a letter; writ, charter, deed; literary writing, a book, treatise; books in the Bible; scripture).

The Latin and Old English words I used to construct my word cwirta can both mean document, but both words can mean more. Cwirta would be pronounced like quirta.

I'm back constructing words after several days off for Christmas. We had family over for Christmas dinner, and I was busy cleaning house, cooking and baking. Everything went well. Good food, good company. Although I could have done without spilling the pickled herring across the kitchen floor.

1 comment:

illunse said...

Postscript: There are no Quenya or Sindarin words for document.