Saturday, May 08, 2010

Bible Trace, from 1 Thessalonians

Last Saturday I finished sharing Tolkien's Markirya Poem. Today I have another Bible Trace. A verse from different Bibles through the ages.

Today's Bible Trace is 1 Thessalonians Chapter 5, Verse 10. I didn't compile this information myself, I found this interesting verse online. After the date is the version of the Bible from which the verse was taken. And no, I still can't read Old English, even though there are a few readable words.

Latin 405 Vulgate
Qui mortuus est pro nobis ut sive vigilemus sive dormiamus simul cum illo vivamus

Old English 990 West Saxon
He swealt for us swa þæt, sam we wæccað sam slapað, we lifen ætgædre mid him.

Middle English 1395 Wyclif
That whether we waken, whether we slepen, we lyue togidere with him.

Jacobean English 1611 King James
Who died for us, that, whether we wake or sleep, we should live together with him.

Basic English 1964 Ogden
Who was put to death for us, so that, awake or sleeping, we may have a part in his life.

No comments: