Saturday, July 21, 2012

Soil, in my words (revised) + soils

hulm : soil

The Illunse word for soil (earth) is hulm. Hulm is the name of a place in Germany. Hulm is an uncommon last name.

This word is a mixture of the Latin word for soil humus (ground, soil, earth, land, country), and the Old English word for soil molde (earth, soil; sand, mold, dust; world). I think that molde is the most appropriate Old English word for my definition.

Hulm is the Illunse word for the noun soil, for what you plant crops in.

My previous word for soil was hulme. This is a small change.

Here's a link to Earth, in J.R.R. Tolkien's words, which includes words for soil.

hulma : soils

The Illunse word for soils (nominative plural) is hulma. Hulma is a rare last name.

Soils in Latin is humi. Soils in Old English is moldan.

The plural, soils, is new.

I was away for a while, taking a summer break. Just now getting back to posting.

No comments: