Sunday, March 23, 2014

Oak, in my words + oaks

aerc : oak

The Illunse word for oak is aerc. Aerc is a very rare last name. AERC is an acronym for a number of organizations.

This word is a mixture of the Old English word for oak, ác (oak; ship of oak), and the Latin word for oak, quercus (an oak, oak-tree, especially the Italian oak). My word will be used to mean oak, the tree. In Old English ác-beám and ác-treó mean an oak-tree.

I've changed this word. My previous word for oak was erc. I changed this to start with the letter A because the Old English word ác also is the name of the rune for A, and the letter A.

Here's a link to my earlier post for Oak, in J.R.R. Tolkien's words.

aerca : oaks

The Illunse word for oaks (nominative plural) is aerca. Aerca is a very rare last name. AERCA is an acronym for a few organizations.

Oaks in Latin is quercus (same as the singular except for an accented vowel). I don't know what the word for oaks is in Old English, maybe because oaks would be called oak-trees.

No comments: