Saturday, May 12, 2012

Snow, in my words (revised) + snows

nais : snow

The Illunse word for snow is nais. Nais is an uncommon last name. In Scottish Gaelic nais means furnace. In Tagalog nais means "desire, wish". Nais is the name of places in Iran and Turkey. Saint-Christophe-sur-le-Nais is a place in France.

This word is a mixture of the Latin word for snow which is nix, and the Old English word for snow which is snáw (snow, snow-storm).

My previous Illunse word for snow was niwas. I liked that it used the W, but didn't like that it was two syllables.

Here's a link to Snow, in J.R.R. Tolkien's words.

naisas : snows

The Illunse word for snows (nominative plural) is naisas. Naisas is a rare last name.

Snows in Latin is nivis. Snows in Old English is snáwas.

I didn't have a word for snows, the plural, before.

I'm trying to move my posting schedule to Saturday, and post more frequently.

No comments: