Monday, October 05, 2009

Mountain, in my words (revised)

morg : mountain

The Illunse word for mountain is morg. Morg is a last name. Morg is a masculine first name. Morg is a Marvel Comics fictional supervillain in The Silver Surfer.

This word is a mixture of the Latin word for mountain which is mons, and the Old English word for mountain which is beorg (mountain, hill). Another Old English word for mountain (and hill) is munt.

My previous word for mountain was meorn. That word looked too much like the word mourn. My new word, morg, is unfortunately pronounced similarly to morgue, but it's spelled differently enough.

Here's a link to my earlier post for Mountain, in J.R.R. Tolkien's words.

2 comments:

Kendra Logan said...

I like reading how you came up with your words. It's interesting how you do real research instead of just making stuff up.

Awesome!

~Kendra

illunse said...

Thanks, Kendra!

The Old English and Latin words give me the letters to work with and ideas for words.

I just make things up in my other constructed language, Fennas. Sometimes that's actually harder.