Friday, February 19, 2010

Mirror, in my words

specsune : mirror

The Illunse word for mirror is specsune.

This word is a mixture of the Latin word for mirror which is speculum (mirror, looking glass, reflector; copy, imitation), and the Old English word for mirror which is sunscín (mirror; similar word sunscíene means radiant, beautiful or splendid as the sun).

There's another Old English word for mirror, scéawere (spectator, an observer, one who examines into a matter; a spy; watchman; a mirror; a buffoon, actor). I didn't use this word to make my word because mirror is one of the later meanings. Although if in the future I make a word for an object used for scrying, such as reflecting pool of water used to magically observe distant events, I'll use this word.

2 comments:

Mariska said...

Kate, if you decide to use X in Illunse, does specsune become spexune?

illunse said...

I don't know about X. Latin uses it, I know, and some Old English words. But X makes words look sort of weird.