Thursday, February 25, 2010

Room, in my words

colfa : room

The Illunse word for room is colfa. This will be a generic term for a room. Colfa is an unusual last name. Colfax, which is similar, is a more common last name. Colfax Ave. is the longest east-west street in Denver, the city where I live.

This word is a mixture of the Old English word for room which is cleofa (cave, den; cell, chamber, cellar; word meaning that which is cloven), and the Latin word for room which is cella (small room, storeroom, garret) or conclave (room, chamber, lockable enclosed space).

The Old English and Latin words are not exactly generic words for what I think of as a room, but they are the words that I found closest in definition. I looked up various words in multiple dictionaries. Homes in Roman and Anglo-Saxon times were different from our modern homes.

No comments: