Sunday, February 28, 2010

Words from the home to adjectives

This month’s theme for words was things in a home. Thanks for voting for this, Kendra! Admittedly, some of the words were parts of a house’s structure. The thirteen Illunse words I constructed were home, house, door, window, bed, table, chair, pillow, kitchen, mirror, roof, oven, and room. These are all fairly basic terms so that I could find definitive words for them in Old English and Latin. I ran up against ancient, pre-medieval technology. Homes were way different back then. Surprisingly, Tolkien didn’t define words for some of these things in Quenya and Sindarin.

At New Year’s, I resolved to figure out how to make plurals in the nominative case by the end of February 2010. I didn’t do it. This will require much more time. I need to study more Latin and Old English grammar, which makes my head hurt even thinking about it.

Next month, in March, my theme for words will be adjectives, description words. The suggestion Mariska, my fellow conlanger, voted for. I could always use a few more adjectives in Illunse.

No comments: